Monday, November 7, 2011

Holland - The Coming

I have a lot of peers asking me about how did I go to Holland...

Well, I simply went to the airport, followed the queue, checked in my luggage, went to Immigrations, boarded on the plane and bang! I landed in Holland! - - - That was the literal answer to the said question. However, let me share the very reason why I am here...


God is always GOOD!

I graduated my undergraduate degree on the same day as my birthday, the 7th of April (Who cares?!) I do! It was after that day that I became free and starting to open the door of the real world! The world of adulthood, employment, MATURITY!

I spent the next month relaxing at the beautiful island of Boracay! I was there for 20 days (Like who the hell cares again?!) It was a very worthy vacation where I spent all my savings (I was like so crazy spending it all!) I almost had no money for fare back home! Crazy me!

Now, let me go back to the real body of this story.

After that vacation, I was just at home and broke! Yes, I stayed at home and did nothing but nothing. I was confused about what to do first: go back to Singapore and start my employment history (like most of my friends) but there is no guarantee that I would have a job; and if I chose the former, then I have to earn money and I dont know how: perhaps find a job, or borrow, or sell something, or I dont really know! That confusion took over me and I spent days and weeks doing nothing but gaining weight! LOL

I started jobhunting after a couple of weeks being a crap at home! Good thing we have an internet connection at home, so I was able to enjoy the available online job sites. And here goes the LUCK!

Maybe GOD just loves me so much! I bumped into one of the available job hiring, and saw an opportunity. It was just a training program for a possible business relationship. There will be a language training in Holland as a start of the project. I rushed for the application and there are about a couple of hundred applications submitted...

It made me go crazy knowing that there might be somebody who is in my level or higher than me, and it is really sucking out my hope! The interview time arrived and only a few chosen ones were invited, and I am luckily included...

It was just a SKYPE interview, so not so formal and thrilling. My interview went well, and I cant site a particular question asked because it was just like a personal conversation, asking about strengths and weaknesses, skills and talents, etc. I was very thankful to my group, the STUDENT LEAGUE FOR ACADEMIC ADVANCEMENT AND PROGRESS (SLAAP), the oldest semi-academic organization in Mindanao State University - Main Campus, as it molded me to become confident during interviews.

Afterwards, only a handful were chosen for the personal interview. So I went to Davao (good thing it was close to me!) and had the interview with a Dutch citizen who is presently residing there. He is married to a Filipina from Bislig City, and is the contact person of the employer. I was a little bit nervous about the interview but it went fairly well, great to be exact. A couple of days after, I received the best SMS of the year!



Among all the applicants, I was the one hired (not technically, but for the sake of defining!) by the employer. I then processed my visa. What made this offer amazing is the fact that I didnt spent any single peso since I applied, except of course for the effort in making a beautiful (I dont know if it is, but it worked!) resume. I was given tickets for Manila for the Embassy application. And everything went smoothly. I applied on the 24th of August and got my visa on the 9th of September.

|The Training|

It was not totally a training, as it sounds more of a scholarship than a training. The employer is not actually completely sure of investing on a business in the Philippines, so after this three-month training, employment is not guaranteed! However, having this is already a beautiful experience! I am studying the Dutch Language three times a week - Monday, Wednesday and Thursday from 1100-1300. That is the only technical thing. The rest of my time is spent in the gym and at home, perhaps cleaning my room or vacuuming around. There are also some visits and appointments in government offices ( For the part where I have to learn the government policies regarding foreign workers!). My employer is planning to have an office in the Philippines and hire Nurses and bring  here in Holland. But dont forget I said in one of the above sentences that they are still not sure. But granting that things will go smoothly, I will be hopefully their contact person who will handle the office and all its operations. That must've been a good job! I am praying for that, and if you love me, you should too!

Oh, and I forgot! I flew to Holland on the 14th of October! Crazy me again! 

I am so interrupted by frequent facebook chats and tweets that I am no longer aware of what I am writing here. Maybe I should stop now as I find myself nagging around already!

I will enjoy my stay, and thanks for reading! Go online! Maybe you will find your luck too!



========================================================== Random thoughts...