Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Miss Universe 2011 - Shamcey Supsup (3rd Runner-Up)

'Today is the most beautiful day in the UNIVERSE!'

That was the line that captured everybody’s attention as the TV Network ABS-CBN advertised their airing of the Miss Universe 2011 Pageant. Miss Universe is an annual international beauty pageant organized by the Miss Universe Organization headed by Miss Paula
Shugart.

A California clothing company called Pacific Mills founded the contest on 1952.  Before it was acquired by the Billionare Donald Trump in 1996, it was a part of Kayser-Roth and then Gulf and Western Industries.  This year, 89 delegates from various countries and territories compete for the title, which will be the 60th.

These beauty pageants have been celebrated well in the past years and decades. But this year is an extravagant one. With the help of technology, promotion and advertisement has been very productive. Social networking sites created a niche for this pageant to grow and earn fame. Multimedia exposure also paved the way for the people to be aware and be completely involved. An array of News anchors, TV Hosts, Variety shows, among others, expressed their opinions and support for the Philippine representative to the contest, which helped in uplifting its fame. This might be a strategy for the station to have good ratings as they air the beauty pageant live via sattelite. Here, business began to be part of the picture. But I am not here to discuss this issue business-wise,  but to impart my own opinion  to this particular beauty pageant.

A woman named Shamcey Supsup (pronounced as either Sham-say or Sham-si, depends upon who is pronouncing the name since different anchors and tv hosts dont have a common pronunciation) was hailed as the Miss Philippines – Universe last April 10, 2011.



She was set to represent the country for the Miss Universe 2011 which will be held in Sao Paulo, Brazil on the 13th of September. She was greatly supported by the Show Business Industry and the entire nation as she departed for the said pageant.

There are various activities in which they all participated. Until that very day that everybody in the world considered as the best day in the universe. Different beauties from the different continents of the world convened and vied for one title, the most beautiful woman in the universe. Everybody in my country was so glued to their television as the delayed airing was telecasted. Even the virtual world was also very busy in the ongoing show, yet they are more advanced when it comes to the actual show. Twitter users were updated via the tweets of the people who are watching the actual show and also the live telecast in cable networks. I myself was updated in twitter as I dont have a cable tv. I kept myself updated through the delayed telecast in a local TV Network (ABS-CBN). However, my twitterworld already fed me various disappointments with regards to the results.

Despite the fact that I am already aware of the winner, I still glued myself in my small small television, trying to ease out the small disappointment I had. I felt like being fed with a spoonful of food with my mouth closed. However, in the long run, I was able to witness the program and the results of the contest. I felt at ease, comforted by the fact that it was a nice show.

Kidding.

I was actually disappointed with the results. Basing on the answers of the top five candidates, Shamcey should have won the pageant, but the results were different. She had the best answer to the question given to her by a certain judge. Disappointing it may seem, but I slowly grasp the feeling of failure, but not completely. I dont consider it eventually as a failure, because Shamcey did her best and to note that she ended up being the Third Runner-Up, higher than Venus Raj’s.

As I continued watching the news and the social networking sites, I have felt the disappointment of everybody. There was even a text poll on TV Patrol, asking if Shamcey should have answered in question in Filipino instead of English,  yet the results was no. According to NBC, Oprah gave an opinion regarding the contest. She said,

"I have reservations with the results. If the only basis is the Q and A portion, after having been trimmed down to 5, Ms. Philippines deserved to win. What made her different from the rest is that she had no seconds to rethink of her answer as she had no interpreter to break the ice. The rest had their interpreters and having breaks on seconds to think about their answers. Hands down, Ms. Philippines answered straight to the point."




But there is no link that will support that claim. However, this site somehow lent credibility to this claim.


Everywhere I go today, everyone was discussing this matter and I just cant get over it unless I will write it down. I am not even a good writer and I know that this post really sucks. But I am slowly returning back to writing and I feel that this should be a good start, aside from the fact that this is my first blog and I am not totally aware of the blogging thing. Furthermore, at least by telling this I was able to make myself more comfortable and ready to sleep tonight. I still have lots of things in my mind that I should discuss. I will.


However,let me end this post with a picture of the Miss Universe crowning... What do you think?!




==================================================== Random thoughts...